Saturday, November 19, 2011

Sources for my research paper

"Although all of the lines derived worldwide share the expression of characteristic pluripotency markers, many differences are emerging between lines that may be more associated with the wide range of culture conditions in current use than the inherent genetic variation of the embryos from which embryonic stem cells were derived" (Hogle, 2010, pg. 2010).

Hogle, L. (2010). Characterizing human embryonic stem cells: Biological and social markers of identity. Medical Anthropology Quarterly V. 24 No. 4.


I feel that this source may not be as accurate as what I hoped for. The author's data was derived from interviews she had with those who were familiar with stem cells, but throughout the article, she used her opinion in basically the whole thing. Also, the data she discussed was something I had never heard of before, and wasn't directly related to the question I am researching.


"Human embryonic stem (hES) cells capture the imagination because they are immortal and have an almost unlimited developmental potential. After many months growing in culture dishes, these rather nondescript cells maintain the ability to form cells ranging from muscle to nerve to blood, and potentially any cell type that makes up the body" (Snow, 2002, pg. 15).

Snow, N. (2002). The human embryonic stem cell debate (book). Theological studies, 63(3)

I felt that this was my best source. The books consists of different sections, introducing the reader to what stem cells are and where they come from, which is helpful for someone who doesn't know what stem cells are or stem cell research. The book also goes into discussing the debate that has arisen with embryonic stem cells and is related to my question of research. Also, I found the book at the UW library and it was professionally reviewed. I feel that this source isn't "lying" to me, like the other sources in  my project one assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment